Many electrocutions and home fires can be prevented simply by understanding basic electrical safety principles and adhering to safe practices. Awareness of electrical hazards is the key to reducing the staggering number of electrically-related home fires, injuries and deaths that occur every year.
- Surge Protection: A surge protector is a small appliance or device that has two main functions. The first is to provide the ability to plug multiple components into one single power outlet. The second, and the more important function, is to protect your electronic devices such as your TV system or computer from a high-voltage power surge. A power surge or spike is an increase in voltage above the designated level in the flow of electricity.
- Smoke Detectors: Every home needs a working smoke alarm in each bedroom, outside sleeping areas, and on every level, including the basement. Remember to test them to make sure they’re working properly.
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Carbon monoxide can be produced by any fuel-burning device. Three main sources are your home’s furnace, dryer vent in a drying machine, and fireplace or chimney. It is important to have these sources regularly serviced and cleaned by a professional to help prevent a CO leak that could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Extension Cords: If you’re using extension cords or adapters that add receptacles, consider having a qualified electrician add more outlets to your home. Extension cords are a common cause of home fires.
*For more electric and fire safety tips, visit https://www.esfi.org/
CALL GEN3 TODAY WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR HOME'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM